Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Friday, November 19, 2010

Random Thoughts On Friday

I was told recently that Joseph-Beth Booksellers had filed for bankruptcy. I felt a little shocked, as Joseph-Beth has been such a great place to pick up books and magazines for me- in Lexington- and during my stay in Cleveland.

I did some searching and found out that the Lexington store will stay open. Great! Sadly, one of the stores that will be closing is the one at Legacy Village near Cleveland.

See my other entry on Joseph-Beth from July 6th, 2010. I have spent a lot of time at both locations.

I know that a lot has been said about online sellers contributing to the downfall of specialty stores, especially independent ones, and smaller chains. That sounds accurate to me.

I love going in a store and browsing. I especially enjoy browsing for books.

I must admit though, I order online a lot. Plus, I buy a lot at discount book stores. When I travel, if I pass a Half Price Book store I stop- and I spend money. If I do buy books at a bigger store, it is mostly from their discount section.

It kind of comes back to economics and convenience. If I want a book, I know that I don't have to pay full price for it. Half Price Books will have it most likely.

I know some stores are trying to retool some. I went to a chain store recently that has a huge section at the front devoted to promoting their new digital book devises. Maybe its just me, but I don't like these. I like holding a book. Pretty much made and used the same was for several centuries.

Sure, a new book might come out, and I might want it the day it comes out. Getting it at the store might be a fun thing to do, but there are really no books that I must have instantly. I have a stack of books I am still trying to find time to read.

I don't mind buying a book at full price if it is signed and I am buying it directly from the author. I love baseball, and I have bought many books written (and published) by a former player. I really like that very personal, AND very independent form of buying a book.

I do enjoy going to small book stores, and supporting them. It makes me very sad to think that the beautiful Joseph-Beth store at Legacy Village will not be there in 2011.

No comments: