Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Lincoln Mall- Owensboro

Lincoln Mall has been mentioned by me on my other blog before. I really loved going to this mall when I was growing up. The phrase "dead mall" would have been an appropriate description for the mall probably for its last 10 or more years in operation as a mall. In fact, deadmalls.com mentions that it was still being used as a mall (barely) up through 2005. In the early 90s, me and my pals would go here a lot because it was the anti-hang out. No one else ever went to Lincoln Mall. We sort of felt like we had the place to ourselves. Plus, they had the second run movie theater. You could see a movie on one of the two screens for $1, or $1.50. There were a few stores that seemed to have been there forever (Arnold's Jewelers and Olan Mills). There was a thrift store or two, and a couple of other shops that came and went. I always loved this place. Several years ago, Owensboro Christian Church took it over. A friend is involved there, and they let me take a look inside recently. I was surprised at how much of the mall still looked the same! In fact, there were a couple of benches and trash cans that I recognized from its mall days. It looks like the church is doing a good job of keeping the place up and looking good. I was glad to see that. They are making good use of the space.
I would love to see some pictures of the mall when it was a mall! I might have some somewhere myself, as I have always taken lots of pictures. Here is a link to the deadmalls.com entry on Lincoln Mall:



http://www.deadmalls.com/malls/lincoln_mall_ky.html

No comments: