Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Kent Ohio














































I have personally spent a lot of time in Kent Ohio. It is one of those places where the college and the town are pretty much totally meshed together.


I was talking to someone recently about something very negative that happened at another college in the state of Pennsylvania. We were trying to think of a similar situation at a college that will forever be negatively linked to the school.

Well, we could only come up with one other school that had gone through similar trauma.


This region and this institution will forever be linked to the shootings that occurred in May of 1970.


I think a good argument could be made that the 60s figuratively ended in Kent Ohio on that day.

I know that several musical acts that I love- Joe Walsh, Devo, Chrissie Hynde had very direct and personal connections to the event. I have heard them mention their connections in interviews, but I don't believe they have ever tried to capitalize on that connection in song.


Anyway, it is a very nice and pleasant little college town. Here are a few random photos. I have some more from years past in my archives somewhere. I will try to get those up soon.













No comments: