Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Saturday, April 7, 2012

West Virginia Road Trips

We recently took a short trip through Huntington and Charleston West Virginia. I think road trippers sometimes ignore these areas and I hope that changes. they both have a lot to offer. I find myself going over there for ballgames and other reasons a lot these days.

We always stop at the West Virginia Visitor Center on I-64 going from the Ashland Kentucky Area. I think it is Exit 10.

I love stopped here. The restrooms are clean, and the staff at the visitor center are friendly and knowledgeable. I always pick up a thick stack of brochures, maps and magazines while there.

I like malls, and I really love the Huntington Mall in Barboursville. They do a good job of keeping this one modern and active.

I think I have mentioned this before, but I was sad to see the old book store chain Borders. I had a very special place in my heart for the Borders store at this mall. Well, the cool folks at Books -A-Million have taken over the same space! Looks like some of the folks there were able to transition to the new store. AND, they have kept the layout almost identical. Joe Muggs Coffee is exactly where the Seattle's Best was. Thanks for filling that space Books-A-Million!

Check out my other entries on Hillbilly Hot Dogs in that area too. Yes, the place is just as cool as you have heard. AND their dogs are GREAT!

See my baseball blog for entries on the West Virginia Power baseball team. Charleston is a very relaxed area with a fun ballpark perfect for games.

Also, I have to admit that I haven't explored the state like I would like to. Matewan and Moundsville are high on my "Places to Visit Next" list.

No comments: