Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Friday, May 4, 2012

Random Thoughts on Friday

I know I have talked about it recently, but today is the anniversary of the Kent State shootings in Ohio.

Kent and the surrounding areas are very nice.  The college campus is pretty and there are some very attractive downtown areas near by.  It is a shame that the area is known for that incident.

I must admit though, when I was living in the area, I wanted to go see where it happened.  If you are an outsider coming to the area, that is what you want to see.  That is absolutely the defining moment for the place.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that.  I think most people know the story, and I think most people have felt a sadness because of what happened- a sadness for the victims, the witnesses, and for the actual physical site.

I can't go and give a hug to the victims, but I can go to the site and, in my own personal way, express my sympathy and admiration for it.

No comments: