Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, DC










Allow me to get a bit more personal than usual on this post.

My father is a Vietnam Veteran and I have total respect for all of our men and women in the military.  I know it is a bit of a cliche for someone to say that they appreciate their service, but I do appreciate all of their service.  I can't say this enough.

There are no names on the Wall of people I have known personally, but there was one in particular that I wanted to look for.

One of my dad's friend's died while serving.  My time on this planet and his missed each other by about a decade.  However, we share the same first name by no coincidence.

Sometimes, when I go back home, my dad and I drive to a certain rural area.  We drive by an old church where I grew up, and where I got married.  Next to that church a cemetery.  In that cemetery is the grave of my dad's friend that I mentioned earlier.

I really wanted to find the name of the person whose grave I have visited often but never met.  I was concerned I might not be able to find his among the more than 58,000 listed.

The rangers in the area were very helpful though.  It is actually very easy to find the location of the name you are looking for.

There are a couple of books listing those names on the wall alphabetically, then showing their coordinates.

In fact, one very sweet ranger came over as I was looking for the name I wanted to find, and helped me pinpoint the exact location.  She then offered to do a rubbing for me.

I really appreciate that rubbing of the name of my dad's friend.

As with any war, we still feel it's ripples.  If you have a loved one who was there, you especially do.  AND, when you hear first hand stories about horrible things that happened there, that affects you too.  The pain can be felt for a lifetime, and it can be so great that it bleeds over into a second generation.






No comments: