Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Pioneer Playhouse in Danville Kentucky










A buddy recently talked me in to checking out Pioneer Playhouse in Danville.  Every season he tries to make it to each of their plays.

We have gone to a couple this year and I really like going!

The theater has been in exsistance since 1950, according to their web site!  I love tradition like that!  I really enjoy being a part of something that has gone on for 6 decades!

The theater and the shops around it feel dated in a very good way.  I doubt a lot has changed on the property since day one.  And, I hope that they continue to resist change.

The night I took the photos in this blog entry, the weather was pure chaos!  The play ("Bottoms Up!") was moved to the Pioneer Playhouse's indoor stage.  Check out the sky over the buildings!  No photoshop there! 

I did see "Picasso at the Lapin Agile" a couple of weeks earlier and we were outside for that one.

I REALLY like the whole outdoor thing, but the indoor venue was cozy too.  In fact, it was very hot for the play I saw outdoors, but it was still great.

It looks like they do 5 plays or so each season, starting a new one every two weeks.  I did recognize several actors in both plays I saw- so these guys are in one play for two weeks, and then starting in an entirely new play right after that!  I would assume they are practicing for one play AS they are publicly performing a different play!

There is something so pleasant about driving out of Lexington on a work night, going to the very casual area of Danville, getting a bite to eat at the local coffee shop, and then catching a play.

Similar to other loves in my life (baseball) the Pioneer Playhouse has too short of a season!  I am trying to arrange my schedule to make sure I catch each of their remaining plays this year, though there are only a couple left.  AND, I look forward to strategically planning to catch each play again next year.








http://www.pioneerplayhouse.com/


No comments: