Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Old Hickory- Owensboro, KY

http://www.oldhickorybbqky.com/

I wanted to take a moment to mention Old Hickory BBQ in Owensboro!

I know of MANY restaurants all over the place that have burgoo on the menu.  This is, in my opinion, about the only place that gets it right.

Outside of Owensboro, Talbott Tavern has good burgoo, but it is the ONLY place outside of the area where I would suggest ordering it.

I went with a buddy to a BBQ place in Lexington some time ago.  I ordered burgoo, and... well, it wasn't burgoo.

I usually get a mutton sandwich and burgoo from Old Hickory when I go home.  it might be my all time favorite meal anywhere.  Then again, I grew up on it.

A friend from out of town went with us to Old Hickory recently.  I tried to get them to have burgoo and mutton too.  They refused.

They opted for chicken strips.  To Old Hickory's credit, my friend did say that they have GREAT chicken strips.

Don't get the chicken strips if you go though.  Get the burgoo and mutton!









3 comments:

Nicole Gray said...

I agree! Old Hickory has the best food around!

Hank Thompson said...

I agree! I was born in Owensboro but moved to Florida as a small child. Spent many summers there visiting grandparents. Now I get back very infrequently as all the close family there have passed on. Took a trip to Owensboro a couple of years ago to reminisce and ended up eating at Old Hickory on the recommendation of the desk guy at the motel where we stayed. Best mutton & burgoo in town! We also ate at the other famous BBQ restaurant and that was good, but Old Hickory was better! Thanks for the article!

jimerado said...

Hey Nicole and Hank! thanks for stopping by my blog!

I know when I get home to Owensboro, this is the place I go to.