Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Friday, March 8, 2013

Random Thoughts on Friday

I have been trying to cut back on TV lately.  I do indulge in the documentary here and there.  Also, I must admit, I like the Sunday night cartoons.

I have been going back and watching some of the older TV shows on DVD.  There are a fist full of shows where a place is a character.  I like these shows. 

You probably know the show I am thinking of when I say a bar in Boston, a diner in Arizona, a doctor's office in Alaska, or a gift shop at Niagara Falls.  I will probably get around to mentioning those shows again later.

One show that I have gone back and watched again lately involves a little house in Walnut Grove in the late 1800s.

Holy cow was that a great show!

After our trip out west last year, I became pretty fascinated with the whole pioneer life thing, and the journey of Americans out to the West.

Little House on the Prairie was such a well done show.  Great stories and the writers could really get you involved emotionally.  We watched the episode the other night where Pa thought the family dog had rabies and almost shot him!  We were yelling "No!" at the TV, even though we remembered the episode and how it would end.  Spoiler Alert!  The dog (and Laura) both survive.

The shows always made me feel lucky to be alive in our plentiful, easy living modern times.  The pilot episode, where the girls each get their own cup and a penny for Christmas was great (the girls get their presents and explain that it is the best Christmas ever).

We watched the Typhoid Fever one from the first season the other night!  The exact same script could have easily been an episode of the Twilight Zone!  Death, darkness, and rats everywhere!

We are almost done with the first season.  If you don't mind, I might bring up Little House on the Prairie as we watch more episodes.

No comments: