Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Lewis and Clark site- Hartford, IL

http://www.nps.gov/lecl/planyourvisit/leclvcillinois.htm



I think a lot of road trippers unfortunately pass by some of the National Park units on their way to other sites.

I always try to check and see if there are any National Parks on the roads I travel before I go.  Even the more obscure ones are worth a visit.

We spent a very enjoyable hour or two at this one.  In addition to a nice indoor museum section telling about Lewis and Clark's journey, there is a replica of Camp Dubois.


This facility has a great staff who talked to us about the park, and about other near by attractions with historical significance.

I am always fascinated by the bits of history that are lost to time.  One of the guides told me that the original Fort was probably 3 miles from this park's replica and there is a good chance that it is now underwater.  Being that the original was not made to last long, it is likely that historians will never truly know the exact location.

And, I fear that future generations may not be able to comprehend just how bold and dangerous that two plus year journey was back two centuries ago.  The visitor center here does a good job of illustrating the needed items for the trip- and the many risks.






No comments: