Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Trail of Tears Park, Hopkinsville, KY

I was in Hopkinsville recently and drove by the Trail of Tears Park Unit.

I don't get to that area as much as I would like to and I REALLY wanted to visit this particular site.  However, with the government shutdown, I felt pretty certain that this place would be unstaffed, since it is part of the National Park Service.

I was wrong.  When we arrived the museum was open and no barriers were up to prevent us from going in!  The proud person running the museum told us that she was a volunteer, so she was not affected by the government shutdown.

Think about that for a while.  While our government fought it out, and then shut down, the VOLUNTEER at this site still came in to open up ON SCHEDULE.  Some people believe in what they do too much not to show up.


Though the museum here is small, we still spent a couple of hours here.  The staff was amazing, telling us stories about the Trail of Tears and its hardships, and about the people.

This is easily one of my favorite park sites I have visited.  The heritage center here has a nice collection.  It is in an attractive area.  The staff cares about the park and its mission.

Oh, and they do host a Pow Wow in September!  Go to their web site for more details!

http://www.trailoftears.org/




No comments: