Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Jefferson Davis State Historic Site-Fairview, KY







We were able to visit the HUGE monument to Jefferson Davis near Hopkinsville recently!  This one has been on my list for some time.

The monument is very similar to the monument to George in DC, but it is a little smaller at ONLY 351 feet!

I was especially excited about making it to this site, as I was able to see the site of the Confederate President's death while in New Orleans a couple of months earlier.  Also, I do enjoy all of the historic sites we have in Kentucky relating the top guys on both sides of the Civil War.

The site is very close to Hopkinsville, and the drive out out is scenic.  The day we were there, we had the place pretty much to ourselves.  The staff there were great.  The guy who took us to the top of the monument was a vet and a local hunter.  He and my dad talked a lot about that, in addition to the history of the monument.

There was a very friendly lady in the gift shop who knew all about the books they sold, and I believe she had read them all.  I made a couple of purchases based on her recommendations.

I made a stop at the post office next door too.  The very cool postmaster there was happy to postmark my Jefferson Davis stamped items for me.  I was happy to get them marked at the PO built pretty much exactly where Davis was born.

This is another great site that is under appreciated.  I think many people have heard about it, but haven't made the trip out to see it.  I am sure that there are many others who are simply unaware of it, but I am glad I finally made it out to see it!






No comments: