Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Vancouver Island part 1

After visiting most of the states in the US, we have decided to branch out a bit. We are trying to work our way into Canada more!

We have actually spent some time in the north, visiting Toronto and Canadian side of Niagara Falls. When we lived in northern Ohio, we made that trip yearly - at least.

An opportunity came up recently, and we planned a trip to Vancouver Island!


So, I checked Amazon for travel books on the area, and on Canada in general. I REALLY like the "Curiosities" book series (there is one on just about every state, and on several larger cities). I was hoping that the good people at Globe Pequot Press had given Canada the "Curiosities" treatment too. They have not.

One of my other favorite sources of info when I travel had some information too, but not a lot. Roadsideamerica.com has a few odd tourist stops noted, but not enough to care about.

I have visited some of Canada's own sites relating to parks and other places.


 Maybe its just that I am used to planning trips to places in the US and I have no real experience with international travel.

I have felt very frustrated about this though. We had a week to spend at a place, but very little planned.

BUT, I have found in the past, that I get the most from life when I have low expectations.

The best fiction books I have read have been randomly selected, usually picked up as a last minute impulse buy on a discount rack.

The best concerts I have been to have been unplanned free or $5 type shows at coffee shops that I have stumbled upon accidentally.

"Maybe my trip to Vancouver Island will be like that. Not very well planned, no expectations" I thought.  And I was right!

So.....

We left Kentucky and traded flights in Texas.  We arrived in Vancouver in the early afternoon.  On the airplane to Vancouver, a couple of Canadians heard us mention we were going to the Island. One right next to us told us about various things to do. Another guy actually wrote out directions to some stuff. Very friendly. We had some great views of Vancouver on the plane. The airport was very nice, and decorated. I was getting a good vibe before stepping off of the plane!

We spent the night in Vancouver and drove to the Tsawwassen area the next day to catch the ferry.  Near the ferry are some nice shops, where we found some nice jewelry, shirts and coffee.

On the ferry I did see a killer whale!  That was VERY cool!

OK, before I get too carried away, I will write about my trip in several parts.  There are a few places that I really want to focus on......  More to come in the next day or two!



No comments: