Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Sunday, October 12, 2014

"Mummies, Catacombs and Mammoth Cave" by Angelo I. George

Not too long ago on a trip to Mammoth Cave, I picked this book up, it just looked too fun!

I have to be honest though, this is an odd volume.  With the well done comic book style    cover and   small size made me think, at first, that it might be a bit more basic.  I figured it might be somewhat of a young reader's intro to mummies at Mammoth Cave.  I was absolutely wrong about that!

Author Angelo I. George has done an amazing job of tracing the legends AND the facts about mummies that were linked to the Cave.  He traces the first documented stories about mummies in Kentucky Caves (which where pretty much hoaxes, or extremely exaggerated tales- though not all).

These days, I REALLY appreciate a well researched book, with an extensive "End Notes" section, WITH sited sources.  Sadly, that type of thing seems to be a rarity anymore.  Mr. George's book is very satisfying in that area.  No calling "BS" on him.  You can check him!

The book starts out following a writer/adventurer/fraudster.  In his writings, he mentions a catacomb in Lexington filled with mummies.  Mr. George tries to figure out the validity of his claim and it's origins.

Along the way some great legends make brief appearances in the story- Illinois' Cave-In-Rock, Thomas D. Clark, Thomas Jefferson, Big Bone Lick State Park, and the Cardiff Giant!  There's a party for ya!

The author spends a lot of time on the mummies associated with Mammoth Cave.  There is confusion over where and how the mummies were found.  There is even confusion over who exactly found them (or purchased them).  Again, George does his best to resolve these mysteries, but some questions will likely never be answered.

I think stories contained in a book like this are much more enjoyable than the traditional ghost story type book.  To me, a real scare comes from exploring a dark cave, not knowing what you may find.

With that in mind, let me leave you with ONE quote from this book.  When 2 cave explorers come across the mummy that will come to be known as Little John, one comments to the other-

"I felt the hair and wrinkled skin and hollered to Lyman, 'Gosh, this feels like somebody's head.'  And sure enough, it was."



No comments: