Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Lost Lexington Kentucky by Peter Brackney

I got Peter Brackney's book "Lost Lexington Kentucky" as a gift recently.  This book is a very easy read covering some of the lost building treasures in and around Lexington.

Brackney's book contains several chapters, each covering a different historic building that used to be in Lexington.  He also gives space to Joyland Park and Stoll Field.

It kind of breaks your heart hearing about all of the history that went on in some of these lost places.  Reading about the Phoenix Hotel gives me goosebumps.  I really wish I could have seen the place.  I can, however, think about it as I walk by its former location next time I am downtown.

How exciting it must have been in Lexington, when these sites hosted legendary weddings, races, football games, and other social events.

One of my favorite stories from the book involves a situation in 1819 when two (possibly three) presidents were in the same building in Lexington at the same time!

Another tale in the book covers a lost mansion that must have been amazing.  Sadly, no photos exist of the home which ended up being abused by the farmer who purchased it.

Its stories like this that make me really enjoy this book, and enhance my appreciation of Lexington's past.  Peter Brackney doesn't get caught up in boring descriptions of the architecture of the buildings.  He tells about what happened inside of them.  He shows that these places are more than just bricks and mud occupying a space for a few decades.  They are important sites that witness history- and when we let these places go the community experiences a great loss.

Check out Peter's blog, where he goes into more detail on local history!

http://www.kaintuckeean.com/

Peter talks about some of the more recent losses that Lexington has experienced like that of the Springs Inn, and its neighbor, Turfland Mall.  Hamburg place went from being a horse farm, to being a shopping destination (I did not know there is a horse cemetery near Wal-Mart!).  The are some current news topics that I keep hearing about (Centrepointe and Towne Branch) that Brackney covers.

No comments: