Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Savannah Georgia

We JUST completed a very enjoyable trip around Georgia and the Carolinas- with a bit of a focus on Savannah!

This was our second trip through Savannah (check out my write up from 2010 here).

We were able stay at the same great hotel we stayed at before, the Savannah Hyatt Regency.  We loved staying here last time, and it was so great this time too.  Its perfectly located right on the very exciting River Street.  I know a nice historic place might have been the way to go here, but this is a nice, very updated and clean hotel. 

I took the night photo from the balcony at the bar in the hotel.  Check that out!  I really love that view.

The concierge there, Sally, gave us a great deal on a trolley and river tour.  Phil, who had worked there before, gave us a similar deal last time.

I really don't know what to say about Savannah that hasn't been said before.  In fact, there are mountains of books and articles about Savannah, and its amazing history.  I guess the most I can contribute is telling about my own experiences.

Like last time, we utilized the orange/green on/off trolley.  This is a great way to get around.  Its convenient, and the drivers are great narrators and informative.


As I mentioned in 2010, Savannah is so real.  The history and stories are real.  Not to devalue other town's histories, but Savannah has so much going on that feels authentic.  There are old houses around, with documented histories.  Historical events happened all around, and you can feel it.  Very few replicas are present.

I can think of many other historic places, where replica buildings and homes are constructed, on sites where people think something happened, maybe.  Museums show off large artist interpretations, with no authentic relics.  That is not the case at all in this legendary Georgia town.

Remember when I wrote about finding all of those great coffee shops around Lake Michigan?  Well, I didn't have as much luck on this trip as far as coffee shops went.  I did find two great ones though.  I did want to mention the very cool independent coffee shop The Coffee Fox.  I forgot to get pictures while I was there, but this was one of the few coffee shops we visited that was really good in town.  We also liked Savannah Coffee Roasters (more on them later, I DID get some photos).  We stopped by Vic's in town too which is at a very convenient location, but we cannot recommend them.  The Fox Coffee and Savannah Coffee Roasters care about making a tasty, quality product.

I will talk more about some of the specific places we liked later....











No comments: