Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Battle of Richmond Visitor Center- Richmond, Kentucky

Its funny how you can stumble upon great places in your own back yard!

Well....  I have driven by the Battle of Richmond Visitor Center literally hundreds of times, but finally stopped there the other day!

As you know, I have been on a bit of a Civil War kick for some time now.  I had heard of the visitor center, plugged the address in to my Garman, and went searching.  I felt a little silly when I realized where it was.

This classy visitor center/museum really impressed me.  First off, it is FREE!  Seriously- there is no admission AND they have a ton of freebies!  I had a great time, learning about the Civil War Battle that occurred here, AND I left with a handful of free brochures and magazines!  There is a donation box near the front, but our very kind guide didn't even mention that.  I hope that any visitors do make a small donation, and sign their guestbook.

So....  one of the many cool things about the visitor center here is that it was a part of the battle with a direct connection!  Also, the Mt. Zion Church is a short drive from it.  It was standing at the time of the battle.  Wounded soldiers spent time on the pews inside of the church!

Inside of the visitor center, one can see three very well done films about the Civil War in the area.  One film is shown near a map model of the battle.  Laser lights help show the formations and progress of the fighting.  This is a very unique and fun display.

There are a few nicely done replica outfits and uniforms here, but there are MANY authentic relics from the battle displayed.

One item that really impressed me was a photo of Union General Mahlon Manson.  Our host at the museum told us a great story about how the photo was acquired.  He then let us know that the sword on display is the ACTUAL one in the photo!  If that doesn't give you goose bumps.... 


Another item from 1862 that made my jaw drop was a Confederate belt buckle with a bullet in it!

Part of one room was filled with arrow heads and other Native American relics found nearby.  The arrow heads, and most of the Civil War items were found locally.

This is a really nice museum.  As I mentioned, there are other sites relating to the Battle of Richmond nearby, including a trail.  We were told that there is also a reenactment coming up!


Check this place out!  I know I will be back!












No comments: