Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Monday, April 6, 2015

Melvins BBQ in South Carolina

After reading my pal The Carpetbagger's blog entry on the South Carolina BBQ Feud, I knew I had to visit at least one of the mentioned restaurants while in South Carolina!

We asked around a bit, and Melvin's was HIGHLY recommended by the locals.

We stopped by in the evening, after doing a lot of walking.  We each had a pretty big appetite.

We walked in to the sounds of Christian music, which was played the entire time we were there.  We also noticed later that the Ten Commandments were printed on our cups.  So, this is a business that is very open about their religious beliefs.

We ordered from the menu- I had a BBQ pork sandwich, with a side of greens.  My wife ordered the four sides meal.

When they brought our food out, we thought that surely the large tray was meant for a family of four seated somewhere else.  The sides were massive.  On most days one of their sides would have been a complete meal for me.  They must have weighted 8-10 ounces each if not more.

I did honestly feel some guilt about the piles of food we had here.  Luckily, our hotel had a fridge and microwave, so we were able to make a couple more meals out of this.

My sandwich was great too, and Melvin's had the standard tray of multiple sauces to choose from at each table.

You know I love BBQ in my neck of the woods.  I have watched several BBQ restaurants come and go in Kentucky.  I know one close to where I work lasted for about a year.  Me and a buddy went one day- but the place was very unsatisfying.  I think a lot of similar places have tried to skimp on quantity and quality.  Melvin's did not skimp on ANYTHING!

OH, and they have one of those great pepper bar areas.....  They had slices AND full peppers while I was there!  This alone was a huge treat!


This will be a place to visit again on my next trip to the area.  I would love to see Melvin's branch out more too.....  I would eat at Melvin's all the time if one was in my town!




2 comments:

Jacob said...

The Bessinger brothers drama is so intriguing to me, but the food is good all the way around. Alot of people disagree with me, but I feel like South Carolina has the best BBQ in the South. A controversial view from a NC resident.

jimerado said...

Melvins was so perfect..... I think I would have to eat there again next time, but I really want to see the other brothers place too!