Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Thursday, June 4, 2015

"Kentucky's Civil War Battlefields" by Randy Bishop

I wanted to take some time to mention the INFORMATIVE and very helpful book- "Kentucky's Civil War Battlefields: A Guide to Their History and Preservation" by Randy Bishop.

This fun book is a complete guide to the Civil War Battles fought in the Bluegrass State.  There are 13 chapters, one devoted to each battle.  Randy Bishop gives a good description of each one.  After that, he discusses what you will see if you go to the sites where those battles happened now.  There are photos and maps.

What I like the most about each chapter is Bishop's info on the current state of the battlefields.  Some have amazing visitor centers, and are well maintained.  Others are in desperate need of attention and interpretation.  The author does give his opinion that some areas would benefit from making a bigger deal out of the historic sites they have to offer.  A nice visitor center, a driving tour, trails to walk, etc. would bring in more tourists (and tourist dollars) than a couple of weathered looking markers.

This book gets my highest recommendation.  I have a small milk crate of books in my trunk- mostly Kentucky travel books that might come in handy while I am out on the road.  This is definitely one of those books I will want close by while I am on Kentucky roads.  I have also ordered Bishop's similar book on Tennessee.  I will mention that one after I read it!

No comments: