Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Sunday, September 6, 2015

La Grange Kentucky

La Grange is really growing on me.  This is such a great area.  You can tell the locals are proud of what they have, and they are trying hard to make it even better.

I think some people may not make it to La Grange, because it is a bit off the beaten path.  I think of it as kind of between Louisville and Lexington, but still another 20 miles out.

BUT, it is a short pleasant 20 miles.

And the area is worth a day trip!


THE great feature of the town is a train track that runs right down the middle of the place!  The train LITERALLY come through town, down the main street in the area!  Cars MUST get out of the way!  Don't worry though, there are plenty of lights, gates, and warnings.  You know way ahead of time before the train comes through.

We arrived early one Saturday morning, and relaxed at the La Grange Coffee Roasters, one of my favorite coffee shops in the state.  THREE trains came through during the time we were there!  How many coffee shops can you think of that offer the experience of watching a train while inside of a relaxing atmosphere?  It is a very cool, rare, retro experience.

By the way, I have said it before, but this is such a great coffee shop.  These guys know coffee, and we enjoyed some breakfast items while we were there.  It is a spacious, and attractive shop.

I was excited and hopeful about seeing another train before leaving the area.  I was in Karen's Book Barn (ANOTHER GREAT shop in town).  I asked there if they thought another train would be through anytime soon.  They assured me one would be, and they told me that they average 26-31 trains a day!

Sure enough, another came through right after that!

While in town, we visited a great toy store, an art gallery with quality, and affordable items, and a farmer's market!  We had lunch at a nice deli.

More on all of those places later, as I am sure we will be back soon.  If you have never gone to La Grange, you need to.  This is a very relaxing, but fun place to spend a day!







No comments: