Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Airports in Texas

Through timing issues and layovers, we ended up spending a lot of time in Texas airports.  I was hesitant to fly for a while, mostly from my own paranoia relating to x-ray scans, but there have been some changes, and I feel better about things now.  I do enjoy the whole travel vibe at the airport, and as long as I have a book, I can read in a nice environment.  AND, TSA isn't so bad.  In fact, I appreciate the fact that they are keeping the place secure.

We had some nice burgers in a little sit down restaurant that was cozy at the San Antonio airport.  I already mentioned the story about the lady with her Chihuahua at the airport.  VERY sweet.

Well, after a short flight back to Dallas, we again had several hours to kill at the airport before getting back home to Kentucky.  I got a green tea at a Starbucks that was terrible.  It tasted like grass.  I really liked the Tazo teas, but they have switched to something really bad.  I still drank it though because I am that cheap.

We had a good time exploring the shops in Dallas.  Its funny though, the DFW airport is huge, and they use a rail system to get people around.  San Antonio's airport is very small.  A local told us we really didn't need to get to the San Antonio airport more than an hour before our flight.  I like being VERY early over cutting it close.  That's just me.

I had time to reflect on the trip as we relaxing in the airport in Dallas, as the sun was going down.  We agreed that San Antonio was a great city, and we would like to get back sometime.  We would do Austin again, if we could hang out at the Driskill the whole time, or maybe if we did a bus tour.  I do want to do a Dallas trip at some point, and a west Texas trip somewhere down the road.


Driving through the Hill Country, and seeing the occasional cactus here and there made me think about our previous trips to Arizona, driving from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon, stopping by Sedona.  I am really craving a trip out somewhere in the desert.

I had my Ipod with me, and I made a Texas playlist for the trip.  It was pleasant listening to "Ghost of a Texas Ladies Man" and "Tomorrow Wendy" by Concrete Blonde, 10,000 Maniacs "Dallas", and various songs by Darden Smith, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, and others that make me think of Texas.

I BARELY missed being able to catch Alejandro Escovedo and Mavis Staples while we were in Texas.  It would have been cool seeing one of those acts, but their tour schedules were a little off of ours.

Oh, I forgot to mention, we cut our time in Austin a bit short because of the President!  While we drove to Austin, I was listening to a local radio station that announced President Obama would be coming in on Friday (our last planned day in town).  They suggested that locals should avoid being on road.  We decided to leave Austin early that morning to avoid travel issues.

Hey Texas, we will see ya again, somewhere down the road!




No comments: