Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Friday, September 23, 2016

Cave of the Winds- Niagara Falls, New York

In an earlier post, I mentioned using disposable waterproof cameras while at Niagara Falls.  I am pretty sure that all of the photos here were taken with those cameras.

I will be upfront right now and say that the "Cave of the Winds" tour was our favorite thing we did while at Niagara Falls.  This is an unexpectedly cool attraction.  You REALLY feel the falls here.

Just like with the Maid of the Mist, you are given a cool poncho to keep you dry.  AND, you get a pair of sandals (along with a bag to put your shoes in).  I am pretty sure this is because the sandals have really good traction- and you will need it!

So, after getting your tickets and snaking through the line to get your poncho and sandals, you start your walk on a red, wooden walkway along the bottom of the American Falls.  You are literally walking right next to the Falls!

AND the coolest part is that there is an area called the "Hurricane Deck".  Part of the Falls is raining directly down on the deck.  You can choose to walk on the part of the deck away from the water, and avoid getting soaked.  I noticed a lot of people doing that.  OR, you can walk over to the spot getting rained down on and place yourself right under the windy waterfall!  I personally couldn't resist.  I held on to my glasses, and stood under the water!

This is a very exciting experience.  You are feeling the water's force as it goes over the most legendary waterfall in the world.  I am pretty sure that this is the most direct contact you can have with Niagara Falls legally.

It knocked the wind out of me.  It is cold and powerful.  It is difficult to breath as you stand there.  And, it is windy enough that if you have a hat on, you will need to hold on to it.

I would say that if you are in the area on the American side, this is the one thing that you must do if nothing else. 





No comments: