Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Friday, June 9, 2017

Random Thoughts On Friday

I was thinking the other day....  I have not done a road trip through southern Illinois in some time.  I like that area a lot, and my dad and I have had fun exploring that part of the state.  Lots of cool (and strange) history.

And I thought about one of our favorite coffee/lunch places....  not just in Illinois, but anywhere.  I am talking about Annex Coffee and Deli in Herrin.

We stopped by this tasty little spot inside of an old movie theater several times and we loved it.

Well, I was thinking that another visit sometime soon might be in order.  I went to check on our old pals at the Annex and found that they had to shut down several months ago!

This really made me sad.  As an infrequent visitor through the area, to me, Annex was a huge part of the community.  This was simply a great place to visit, and Herrin has lost an extremely upscale, nice place for a small town.

Another place that closed shortly after we visited was the Cheeky Monkey in Portland Michigan.  We stopped there on another road trip some time ago.  I went on and on about how perfect this small coffee shop was.  I bought a logo mug while I was there! 

Anyway, it is nice thinking about road trips from the past... and the cool places you visit on those trips....  you like to think that they are always there, even after you have gone on home.

We still have the memories....  the photos....  mugs with monkeys drinking coffee on them.  I am glad that I was able to enjoy those places while they were up and running.

No comments: