Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

"The New York Crimes- Volume 1 The Fifties and Sixties" by Stephanie Hughes

New York City is amazing, strange, and wild on so many different levels.  I was talking to a friend the other day about my recent trip there, and they told me that they like to go there every couple of years for shopping.  My friend and I went mostly to see historic and iconic places.  Others might go to see plays, live music, or to experience iconic restaurants.

There is so much art to see, so many things to experience.  There is also a lot of tragedy that has gone down in the Big Apple.

I think most of us have at least some interest in visiting places associated with crime and tragedy.  On my trips to NYC, I visited places associated with 9-11, and the assassination of John Lennon.  I know there is something compelling about going there, and seeing where it happened.

Well, after getting back from my last trip, I got a copy of Stephanie Hughes' "The New York Crimes Volume 1" which covers some of the more notable crimes that happened in New York City during the 50s and 60s.

A famous author, artist, human rights activist, TV star, and various others fill the pages of this book.  Hughes gives a short description of what exactly happened, and then she discusses the various players (some of whom are almost lost to history and very little is known).  After that, she includes a list of places involved in the crime, including specific addresses.  The book is very similar to the series by author Ron Franscell who is also not afraid to tell you ALL about various crime scenes.

The New York Crimes is a very short 80 page read (it is to the point) and you can read this one in one setting.  It is the kind of book worth taking notes in though, so you might want to read it slowly, with a pad and paper handy.  This is a very interesting book for fans of New York, and I will be very excited to pick up the next volume of this series when it comes out!



No comments: