Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Sunday, February 5, 2023

Concert Memories: Warren Zevon- his last two shows in Cleveland, Ohio 2000

I am THRILLED to hear that Warren Zevon is on the ballot for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  Actually I thought that pretty much all of the nominees this year are good.

I started thinking about the times I was fortunate enough to catch the late Zevon....  at his last 2 shows he performed in the Rock Hall City- Cleveland.

My buddy Dan REALLY loves Zevon, and he invited me to the first show.  It was great, and we would catch him again later that year.

Even in 2000, those tickets, priced at just over 20 bucks with fees was a great deal to see the legend.  I have mostly stopped going to big name concerts anymore because of the high prices.

I remember both of these shows being great.  Jill Sobule (who I also love) opened both of them, making these particularly memorable shows.  At one of them, he brought her back out to sing a song that he explained was one of his all time favorites, "You Were On My Mind."  I appreciated this because it is also a favorite of mine, and I listen to the legendary recording by the We Five often.

The crowds seemed good and appreciative at both shows.  I did get a CD signed by Jill Sobule at one of the shows, and had a nice, brief chat with her too.  

There was no backing band, these shows were just Warren by himself.

I would read his huge biography later....  compiled by his ex-wife (he gave her his blessing to put it together before passing away).  Man, what an incredible read!  He wanted her to make sure she including all of the good and bad stories about him and his character.  

Anyway, I am so happy to say that I was able to catch this brilliant songwriter/musician/artist while he was still with us.


No comments: