Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Saturday, May 26, 2018

Brain Sandwiches at Hilltop Inn, Evansville Indiana


  Hilltop Inn in Evansville Indiana has been a place I have wanted to get to for some time now.  The business has been around for forever...  but they are particularly famous for one thing BRAIN SANDWICHES!!!!
 
Yes, you read that correctly.  If you are ever craving pork brain....  this is the place to go.
 
So, I gathered up some of the more adventurous eaters I know (my family- specifically my dad) and we made the journey to Hilltop Inn for brains.
 
First off, this place feels old.  It is very brown and wooden on the inside.  It absolutely feels like the kind of place people would have eaten at in the 1800s.
 
Prices were reasonable too.  Their famous Jumbo Brain sandwich was available at a very affordable price of under $8!
 
My dad, who will eat pretty much anything, ordered one.  This was no big deal for him.  He has had them before.  He frequently enjoys frog legs, gizzards, sardines, and other animal parts that I am too ashamed to mention.  He doesn't care.  Check out the 3rd and 4th photos to the left.  There it is.
 
My mom tells me that she remembers her mom and grandmother eating brains a lot.  She said that her grandma would cook them up with scrambled eggs.  My great grandma was a barbarian!  As a side note, that great lady lived to be 101 and died after I graduated from college.  Maybe the brain eggs helped her live a long life!
 
Back to the Hilltop Inn.  We ordered some onion rings, and I personally had a small bowl of burgoo and a BLT.  We had a very pleasant waitress who took care of us.
 
OK, forget the gimmicky brain sandwich.  The Hilltop Inn has GREAT FOOD!  I mean, really great food.
 
I am pretty critical of burgoo.  Their's wasn't the best I have ever had, but it is the best I have had outside of Western Kentucky.
 
The BLT had a generous amount of thick bacon on it.  It was perfect.  Our onion rings were nice too.  You could actually bite into them and they weren't stringy.  These were some of the best onion rings we have ever had.
 
My sister (who tries to downplay and deny her hillbilly heritage) had livers.  She said that she liked them a lot.
 
We all had pie, and I had a piece of their new chocolate chip cookie dough pie and it was really nice.  I am still thinking about it.  AND, I am generally against dessert Frankensteins like this, but it was perfect.
 
My dad enjoyed his brain sandwich, and I guess I should admit that I had a couple of bites.  It was a little chewy and soft, but it was tasty.  Honestly, it tasted like I imagined a brain sandwich would taste.
 
Hilltop Inn is weird, odd, historic and it has good food (not to mention some strange menu options).  All of those factors really make it a place any roadtripper should stop at while in the area.  I give it my highest possible recommendation.
 
 
 
 
 
 









No comments: