Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Sunday, August 19, 2018

Concert Memories: Don Henley, Nashville TN 7/28/1991

There was a time that Don Henley was absolutely my hero.  I had a couple of HUGE black and white promo posters for a couple of his albums up in my room.  I thought he was simply brilliant and could do no wrong.

He put out most of his solo stuff when I was in school....  just starting to appreciate music.  The Eagles back then were before my time.  When people talked about an Eagles reunion, I hoped it wouldn't happen.  I preferred my Don Henley Frey and Walshless.

As I got older, I would discover that the Eagles were actually GREAT, and I would develop a love for them that was kinda separate from my love of Don Henley.

I would end up going to a LOT of shows at Starwood Amphitheatre in Nashville, but this was my first one there.  It was only a 2 hour drive from Owensboro, which was close enough to drive home AFTER a show.  We would get home very late, but it was doable.

Starwood was, in my opinion, a great venue too.  It was torn down in 2007, and, from what I understand, it is still undeveloped.

My cousin Matt and I made the trip to Nashville to Starwood Amphitheatre to see Don.  We stayed in a crappy hotel (I think this was the only time I stayed at a hotel after a Starwood show).  I can't remember much about it, other than there were bars on some windows.  It was the kind of place I wouldn't stay at now, but we were fine with it at the time (honestly, I think we were impressed with it at the time...  we had nothing to compare it to).

For the concert, we had lawn seats, and we were happy with that.

Susanna Hoffs from the Bangles opened the show, and I remember her being great.  She did some Bangles songs, and solo stuff.  I think she had a big solo hit at that time.

There was an intermission after Hoffs' set, and after 15 or 20 minutes, ALL of the lights went out.  I remember thinking that there was some sort of electric problem and we would not be able to see Don Henley.  That would be just my luck.  BUT THEN, you heard the first few opening chords of "Dirty Laundry" and right when the drums kicked in, ALL of the lights came back on.  It was a cool effect.

Henley did a lot of songs form his three (at the time) solo albums, and he did some Eagles songs.  I loved it when, doing the Eagles material, he played drums and sang, just like during his days with the Eagles.  I probably don't have to say it, but he closed with "Desperado".

I bought a concert shirt that night.  It's one of my all time favorite concert souvenirs, and I still occasionally wear it even now (that shirt is over 25 years old!).  It's a nice, thick black material with Don's face on it.






No comments: