Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Friday, October 19, 2018

First Baptist Church in Columbia, South Carolina

 First Baptist Church in Columbia hosted a state convention in 1860 to discuss secession after the election of Abraham Lincoln.  Delegates unanimously voted to leave the United States, becoming the first of the Southern States to do so.

So, in a lot of ways, First Baptist Church in Columbia can be marked as a very significant spot in the formation of the Confederacy... and the Civil War.

AND, when Sherman's forces invaded the city....  this church remained unscathed (I've read that his troops looked for it and got confused about which church hosted the convention). 

It is still a large functioning church. 

We stopped by briefly as we drove around the area.  I did see on their website that they have a bookstore/coffee shop on the property.  YOU KNOW that a bookstore/coffee shop on a church property WITH a Civil War connection made this a place I had to visit. 

Higher Grounds Books and Beans is a GREAT PLACE to stop for a drink!  My wife is on a smoothie kick, and they have a lot to choose from, AND they make them right using real fruit.  I had a great cup of coffee too and we enjoyed chatting with the friendly staff there!  If I lived in Columbia, this would absolutely be my hang out!

No comments: