Mackinac Bridge

Mackinac Bridge
Mackinac Bridge, taken from the ferry on the way to Mackinac Island.

Tuesday, October 2, 2018

"The Fairfield Haunting" by Richard Estep

I mentioned not too long ago that I got to meet and talk to author Richard Estep at the Scarefest in Lexington.

I noticed him and his books at Scarefest.  I did a quick search, and his work did look interesting.  I have become a bit reluctant to buy some ghost related books lately though, because there are some really bad ones out there.  Just from googling around though, it looked like Estep put more into his books than most.

AND, I was fascinated that he had written a book on the Fairfield Inn, which is just outside of Gettysburg.  There was action there during the Civil War......  but the town and the Inn are often overlooked as most Civil War tourists spend their time at Gettysburg.  So, in some ways, this is an obscure Civil War topic that is directly related to the most famous battle.

Also, I have to admit, Fairfield was not on my radar.  I read a lot about the Civil War, and this one was new to me....  so I definitely wanted to pick this book up!

Anyway, I just finished reading his book, "The Fairfield Haunting" and I really enjoyed it.... on several different levels.

First off, Estep is a thoughtful writer.  Sure, he is writing about ghost hunting (a somewhat less than legit hobby in the minds of many people) but he is keeping a skeptical perspective.  He is OK with debunking and he doesn't get too excited about evidence before trying to debunk.  He is trying to keep things pretty scientific.

Still, the book has a nice creepy feel.  Richard and some friends are spending time in an Inn that was used as a Confederate hospital during the Civil War.  They are doing investigations late at night too, so there is that.  In some ways, the book reads a bit like a scary movie.

BUT, the book deals a lot with history.  Estep gives a nice but brief description of the Battle of Gettysburg.  For most, this is a bit of a rehash....  but a quick mention is needed in a book like this.  The author does a good job of covering it though, in an easy to visualize sort of way.  Also, he covers some of the other basics of Gettysburg (Jennie Wade, the orphanage, the Farnsworth House, etc.).

After reading "The Fairfield Haunting" I thought this might be a nice book for a young adult or teen reader.  It would be something nice to give a young person before a first trip to Gettysburg....  especially if that young person is interested in the paranormal.

In fact, I wish I had this one to read before my first trip to Gettysburg several years ago.

So, I really liked "The Fairfield Haunting because it introduced me to the Fairfield Inn (I MUST make it there next time I am in the area) and the Battle of Fairfield.  It was an enjoyable read because I felt like I was with Richard investigating the Inn and the Gettysburg Battlefields.  Plus, I appreciated Richard's easy to understand descriptions of the Battle.  I personally love the politics and personalities of the Civil War, but I often feel like reading about the battles gets muddy.  I didn't feel that way with Richard's books.  I understood the battles.



No comments: