Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Thursday, February 28, 2019

Atlantis Submarine Tour- Honolulu Hawaii

I had heard that you can actually take a ride on a submarine while in Hawaii!  There are some serious bragging rights attached to that.  Seriously, how many people have actually taken a ride on a real sub?

We were told that you check in behind the Hilton Hawaiian Village.  I wish we had had some more time to explore the VERY historic Hilton Hawaiian Village, but we simply didn't.  It is one of the largest hotels in the world, AND Elvis stayed here.  That alone is pretty cool.

BUT, we still had to snake through the village to find out check in area, and this actually took a while.  We did see a filming crew, a ton of extras, and some signs about filming.  We are pretty sure there was some filming for Hawaii Five-0 going on!  Speaking of which, I did not watch this show at all, until after we came back from our trip.  More on that later, but it is cool watching it, and pointing out all of the places we saw on our trip!

So, we walked through the village, and eventually found the Atlantis Submarines area.  We went through a line to check in.  A photographer took our photo with Diamond Head in the background.  After our ride, they tried to sell us the photos for $45!  I actually love the souvenir photos, even if they are over priced, but $45 was way over priced!

Anyway, instructions were given in English and in Japanese, and we were all loaded onto a boat, which took us out to where the submarines were.

The boat ride was not very long, maybe 15 minutes, but the waters were choppy.  They did tell us this before going...  but, it was a rocky ride.

I have done pretty good in these kinds of conditions in the past, but not on this day.  I think most people on the boat were feeling it.  There were plenty of bags available for those who really got sick- I made sure one was within arms reach.  I did not hear anyone get sick, but I did notice a few people throw away bags stealthily.


We were told to watch for the subs when they came up, and this was very cool- seeing them popping up from out of the water!

A ramp connected the boat to the sub, and we walked down a stair type ladder into the sub.  We took seats with a nice round window in front of us.

After going down into the water, the moving waves on the surface could not be detected, and I think everyone started to feel better.

There are some interesting items to see once we went under, including a boat and a plane.  Fish were abundant, and we did see a turtle.

A crew member narrated the tour, and was great about telling us where to look.  He was funny too, cracking jokes here and there.  he also called out when some dolphins came by (I am not sure if anyone got a good look at them).  He also said that a whale had been spotted recently!  THAT would be something cool and scary to see on a sub ride!

When we reached 120 feet down, he suggested that we kiss our significant others.  He said that this would probably be the deepest kiss of our lives!

I am not sure if I remember this stat correctly or not, but I THINK he said that, something like 1/10th of 1% of the population ever makes it this deep underwater.

As our time underwater came to an end, we went back up towards the surface.  I could feel the waves again, and that sickness came back.  We got off the sub, and back onto the boat for a brief ride back.

I kept my eyes closed to help with the wave motion...  and I was glad to get back to land.

Even with the motion sickness this was a great trip and I am glad to say that I have been on a submarine ride!






No comments: