Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Thursday, October 17, 2019

Hocus Pocus- Movie in a Cave- Cherokee Caverns- Oak Ridge, Tennessee

 Recently, for the Halloween Season, Cherokee Caverns in the Knoxville/Oak Ridge Tennessee area hosted a VERY fun "Movie in a Cave" night!

This is a great old show cave that has been around for forever!  Unfortunately, it isn't a "open for tours" kind of cave at this point.  The cave only opens for special events...  LUCKILY, they do have frequent special events open to the public!

I did notice that they planned to show the Halloween classic "Hocus Pocus" and I planned a weekend for us to go down and catch the movie!

I did notice on their web site that some of the showings had SOLD OUT!  I quickly pre-ordered tickets (a very affordable $10 a pop) for a showing.....  AND I am glad I did!  A sign was posted when we arrived that all showings were sold out!

There was plenty of parking leading up to the cave....  There were cars, but parking was no problem.  I think they kept the crowds small for the movie showing too, making the whole thing manageable and special.

After passing the main entrance area, we saw several vendors set up.  One young fellow was at a display with various framed bats, and information about bats and the cave!  He was there with cave caretaker Jim Kirby too!  I had a nice chat with both of them about the caves history, keeping the cave up, and bats! 

We grabbed a couple of canned beverages from a vendor.  We showed our computer print out ticket confirmation sheet and we were given two very attractive souvenir tickets for the showing!  They had some very cute posters printed up too promoting the movie in a cave night.  They were free for the asking!  THAT is within my price range!

We made our way into the cave and a friendly usher helped us grab a couple of seats.  Fold out chairs were set out, and there was a screen and projector set up.  We took jackets in.  Some people brought blankets and their own fold out chairs.  I was comfortable wearing a flannel, but, after an hour or so, I did need a jacket.  Usually in caves I start out wearing a t-shirt and flannel.  Moving along on a show cave tour, I usually take off the flannel.  Not moving and watching a film in a show cave didn't help with heat- layers are good for an event like this.

I did enjoy the film....  I am sure I watched it through at some point.... I know I have watched bits and pieces of it here and there though when it has been shown on TV.  PLUS, a lot of it was filmed in one of my favorite cities- Salem Massachusetts!

It was just fun watching a movie in a cave though!  Sure, the seats were fold out and not cushy reclining seats, the acoustics weren't perfect (they were fine though).....  But it was all just a lot of fun!


After the film ended, we were invited to walk through the cave on a self guided tour.


It was dark, though there were some Halloween lighting effects going on.  It was a very fun way to experience the cave!

We walked slowly through the cave, then left, feeling like we had had a VERY unique and fun evening!











No comments: