Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Thursday, October 31, 2019

"So Cold the River"- by Michael Koryta

Before our trip to West Baden Springs, I was googling around for books about the hotel.  There are actually not as many out there as you might think, BUT I did find an interesting looking fiction book that uses the large hotel as a setting.

"So Cold the River" by Michael Koryta came out nearly a decade ago.  It is a horror/supernatural type book, and it occurs almost entirely in the West Baden/French Lick area.

I actually don't read a lot of fiction, but I thought this would be a fun one to read while we stayed at the hotel...  and I really enjoyed it!

It is a whopping 500 plus pages, but it moves fast and has a great pace.  I knocked it out pretty quickly and had a lot of fun with it.

Not to give anything away, but the main character finds himself at the West Baden Springs Hotel on a job to make a documentary.  He has a mysterious bottle of Pluto Water that gives him visions (AND has a VERY strange EXTRA ingredient).  Murders happen (some in flashback visions) and a very scary character is conjured.

The scary character...  again, not to give anything away....  reminds me of some other classic boogeymen.  I felt he was part Freddy Krueger, part Candyman, part Creeper.....  but still very original.  AND, the door is kind of left open for a sequel!

Speaking of classic horror characters....  As I read "So Cold the River" in the lobby of WBSs, a very friendly lady working there came up to me and started talking about the book!  As I was only about a third the way through, she didn't tell me much, BUT she did tell me that a MOVIE is in the works!  Keep your eyes open....  this could be something very special!

No comments: