Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Swastika at West Baden Springs Hotel in Indiana

I will disclose that I am pretty anti-political correctness in general these days.  I would prefer that historic monuments be left alone in general.  I'm not a fan of editing or censoring the past.

BUT, there is still that dilemma of how to handle things when thoughts and perceptions change.

I know a lot of places used swastikas in their decor long before a certain short mustached jerk came along and adapted the symbol for his political party.  I am sure many places made changes in the 30s, 40s and beyond because of that.


Well, West Baden Springs Hotel obviously incorporated the symbol into their iron work around their front porch.  Instead of removing them, they have covered them with small metal coverings.

I noticed one had popped off while we were there.  I think the coverings are appropriate, though they used to have a sign explaining the exposed symbols.

No comments: