Mackinac Bridge

Mackinac Bridge
Mackinac Bridge, taken from the ferry on the way to Mackinac Island.

Tuesday, January 7, 2020

"Blessings in Disguise" by Nancy Mehl

I've started reading some of the Sugarcreek Amish Mysteries books.....

I have talked a lot here about my appreciation of the Amish, and especially of Sugarcreek Ohio.  Well, I found out that there is a book series based on the area!

These are the kind of books that I usually avoid....  I read a lot of travel books, true crime and history.

I do love Sugarcreek though...  so I am reading these here and there.

The Sugarcreek Amish Mysteries kind of remind me young adult/Scooby Doo type books, but with a bit of a religious/faith based element.

I did enjoy the first one I read, "Blessings in Disguise".  It involves a wife hiding out and pretending to be Amish in an effort to avoid an abusive husband.  A new-to-town shopkeeper and some Amish friends try to figure out if one of a few mysterious new men in town might be the husband.

The books are a quick and enjoyable read.

The books do present a very idealized version of the Amish.  Again, I have really enjoyed being around the Amish and I admire them.... but they have their issues like the rest of us.

Still, these are fun books with very enjoyable (and clean) stories.  I look forward to reading more in the series.

No comments: