Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Wednesday, February 19, 2020

"Wild Bill: The True Story of the First Gunfighter" by Tom Clavin

So, I mentioned earlier that I bought "Wild Bill:  The True Story of the American Frontier's First Gunfighter" by Tom Clavin at Wall Drug.  Well, I ended up reading it here and there on the trip!

This was just a really enjoyable book about Wild Bill Hickok.  The author states up front that he is trying to give the real story of the Old West legend.

So, in some ways, some of the stories feel a little watered down.  Some of the gloss you might expect to find in a book about Hickok is gone.  He is presented as a real person, and not as a character.

Honestly, thats what I want in a biography.  The truth.

Wild Bill does earn his reputation though, just by being a tough, yet likable guy.  He is described as attractive.  He is a pre-rock rockstar early on.

He does some acting, some shooting, some fighting.  He gambles and drinks too.  In fact, even though he is a legend admired by many, he finds himself broke at times.  Heck he kind of comes off as a bum at different points in his life.

Clavin covers Wild Bill's travels, friends and relationships.  I didn't know much about his marriage before reading the book.

The book was a lot of fun to read and I am glad I had it on my trip!

No comments: