Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Monday, March 16, 2020

"Gutzon Borglum: The Man Who Carved a Mountain" by Willadene Price

I bought this easy to read book some time ago in Tennessee, and have had it in my "on deck" pile of books to read for some time.  Reading it before our trip to South Dakota seemed like an appropriate thing to do!

"Gutzon Borglum:  The Man Who Carved a Mountain" by Willadene Price was initially put out in the early 60s I believe, and it reminded me of the type of book I would have read in elementary school.  This is the sort of book I probably would have bought in my young years at a school book fair.

It was an easy to read one that clocks in at a little over 200 pages.  It reads like a very nice story of the artist's life.  It covers his two marriages, his children, personal friendships, etc.

I enjoyed reading about the sculptor of Mt. Rushmore rubbing elbows with Presidents and other BIG name artists!

I also enjoyed reading abut his various projects and how they evolved.  He obsessed over many projects, to the point of being very late on delivering them...  and even redoing parts of them when others found them perfect.  Some pieces have been lost.  One statue was melted down by the Nazis for ammunition!

Borglum's name will always be tied to one project that he started and never finished.  He actually destroyed some of his own art relating to it.

Anyway, this was a very nice, easy to read book on the man!

No comments: