Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Sunday, April 26, 2020

Midland Lutheran College- Fremont Nebraska


I actually thought I had mentioned this before somewhere on the blog....  but I checked, and I don't think I ever did.

YEARS ago (I won't say exactly how many) while proudly attending Berea College here in Kentucky, I actually "swapped" out with this college, at the time called Midland Lutheran College, in Fremont Nebraska.

Back then, both colleges had what we called "short term".  Everyone took a few days off for Christmas break, ending the first semester.  Then, in January, you started one very focused class taking only that one class through January.  Second semester then started in February.  AND, if you wanted to, you could ask another school with short term if you could go there for January.

I thought that sounded fun so I called a few schools about swapping out.  Unknowingly, I called an all girls school!  They actually were willing to work with me (still, it was more of a complicated situation than I wanted to get in to).  I called several other schools too.  After talking to the different institutions, Midland College was very agreeable and easy to work with.....  I decided to go there.  Plus, they were offering a really interesting short term class.  I bought a plane ticket to Nebraska.

Midland kindly sent a van out to pick me up at the small Omaha airport (I actually saw a friend/fellow Berea student at the airport- she was from Nebraska and was flying back to Kentucky!).

Anyway, I had a very nice time in Nebraska.  I was there for a month and read a lot.  I was also really able to focus on the class, which was enjoyable.

It was a calm campus.  I do remember going one night to see a juggler who was brought in for a small show.  There weren't many other students there, but the juggler challenged the audience.  He said he could juggle any 3 items.  Well, a security guy gave him his baton.  Someone else literally had a dead FISH!  Another person had a bowling ball!!!!  The juggler was able to juggle the three items, but barely.

The other students there were all pleasant.  It was, to me coming from Berea (where kids LOVE to debate everything) a very relaxed campus.  The MLC students all seemed to really get along.  It was sweet and I enjoyed this.

AND, my future wife (who I was not dating yet at this time) was at Berea.  We both admitted that we missed each other a lot while I was in Fremont.  We started dating soon after I got back to Kentucky, and we are now married.

So, I spent a nice (yet cold and snowy) January in Fremont Nebraska on the Campus of Midland College.  That month would have a big influence on the rest of my life.

We stopped by when we drove through in 2012.  I enjoyed stopping by again on this visit to once again see the college and the town.  It was nice walking around the campus again.






No comments: