Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Saturday, October 3, 2020

"Secret Indianapolis: A Guide to the Weird, Wonderful, and Obscure" by Ashley Petry

A LOT of travel books around are really out of date at this point.  There were several series of books that have been out over the last decade or two that used to be a nice go to source for travel (Weird, Oddball, Curiosities, etc.)but they haven't been updated. Thats why I am REALLY glad to see the "Secret" books showing up!

I picked up "Secret Indianapolis" by Ashley Petry as we drove through Indy the other day.  It was around 100 "Secret" places you might want to see while in the area.  

Indianapolis is one of my favorite towns, and this volume brought up SEVERAL places that were not on my radar at all!  In fact, there were only a few in here that I was aware of.

I have updated my personal "places to see" list to include several of Petry's suggestions.  I don't want to give too much away, but there is a cafe in the area that is the only place that you can now purchase a beverage popular in the 50s.  There is a park with seats over looking 2 highways.  She suggests a building with a great observation deck (I love observation decks). 

Oh, and she makes some other kind of to the side suggestions about nearby restaurants.  She also lets you know that some of the sites appear in local author fiction!  I love those bits of info!

Each entry gets a couple of pages.  This is a really easy book to read straight through and take notes, and its also a nice book to keep around if you find yourself in the Circle City often.


 

No comments: