Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Tuesday, August 3, 2021

"The Murder of Geneva Hardman and Lexington's Mob Riot of 1920" by Peter Brackney


 I mentioned another book by Peter Brackney some time ago........  He put out a great one called "Lost Lexington Kentucky" that I really loved.

So, he recently released another great book, "The Murder of Geneva Hardman and Lexington's Mob Riot of 1920".  I read this one the other day....

You know, I love Lexington, and love hearing about odd stories coming out of the area....  But I DID NOT KNOW about this one!

AND....  I don't want to give it all away (you should pick up a copy) but there is a murder of a young child.  Of course that is tragic, but the craziness of the situation afterwards really makes this a fascinating and bizarre read.  Let me tease you with this thought....  there were tanks in the streets of Lexington!

Brackney is a lawyer from the area, and he is the perfect guy to obsessively hunt down the facts of this case and put them into an easy to read volume.  He is telling the story, and anyone will be able to follow along....  BUT he also adds a lot of detail, almost giving you side stories about some of the characters (one person involved in the events would later die in a plane crash).

I appreciated seeing 100 year old photos of downtown Lexington.....  I recognize the buildings and areas......but the mobs and guns looked very much out of place.

This is easily one of my favorite newer books on Lexington and it gets my highest possible recommendation.

No comments: