Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Monday, January 31, 2022

"Four Marys and a Jessie: The Story of the Lincoln Women" by C.J. King


 I picked up a signed copy of the very nicely researched book, "Four Marys and a Jessie:  The Story of the Lincoln Women" by CJ King when we visited Hildene in Manchester Vermont.  Hildene was build by Abraham Lincoln's son, Robert later in his life as a summer home.  It became the Lincoln Family home, and was occupied by a family member up until the mid 1970s.

You know I am up on my Abraham Lincoln history, but I really didn't know much about what happened to the family lineage after Robert Todd Lincoln's passing.  Well, this book lets you know what became of ALL of the Lincoln offspring.

In fact, I thought the title of the book kind of sold itself short.  CJ King really gives you the complete history of the next few generations of Lincolns... men and women.

Hildene and Manchester Vermont factor in to the story a lot too.....  and it was fascinating reading about the later Lincolns.  

I have to say that, as a fan of Honest Abe, Mary Todd, and Robert, it makes me a bit sad to know that the last of the lineage passed away in 1985.  The author of the book discusses the whole family, who they married, and how they related to each other.  Of course there is conflict and disagreements....  One of the family ends up having more than one unsuccessful marriage, and another flies airplanes!

I was very happy to pick this book up at the family house...  and I was able to read a lot of it while staying at the 1811 House in town, where Mary Lincoln Isham (Abe's Granddaughter) lived for almost 2 decades.

No comments: