Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Wednesday, February 2, 2022

"Lake Monsters" by Joseph A Citro



We were at the WONDERFUL independent bookstore, the Yankee Bookshop in Woodstock Vermont.  I started talking to one of the staff there about the legendary folklore author Joe Citro.  Well, they told me that they had one of his fiction books signed!

I had to pick it up.  I was a bit hesitant though, because I like Citro's books on ghosts, aliens, and other strangeness in New England, but I figured Joe Citro wouldn't let me down.

"Lake Monsters" is a good, weird book.  I don't even know what to compare this to.  The book was classified as suspense, but it was straight up horror in my books.

It takes place in Friar's Island, which I believe is a fictitious place, though a map in the book shows it near the Grand Isle County area.

It kind of reminded me of an X-Files episode, but with more strangeness in general, and pretty much all of the loose ends are tied by the end of the book.

The book starts with a stranger moving to an area where some odd things have happened in the past.  It all goes downhill from there as he crosses paths with an attractive school teacher, a professor, a couple of good old boys, and a very creepy family.

I would not recommend this for some younger readers (lets just say there are some strange and uncomfortable romance scenes), but I think anyone who appreciates REALLY WEIRD stories will appreciate this one.

I give extra credit to Joseph A. Citro for the ending too- its absolutely not predictable and it is uncomfortable.  I really liked this one.
 

No comments: