Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Wednesday, December 28, 2022

"From Heroes to Homicide" by Joe Ford


 I totally lucked out and found a copy of the late Joe Ford's book, "From Heroes to Homicide" at a used book store!

Honestly, this book is VERY DIY...  It could have been made on a home printer for the most part.  It clocks in at 74 pages and you could indeed call it skimpy.  Still, this is easily one of my favorite finds while scavenging the book shelves at used shops.

If you don't know, Joe Ford started up the Owensboro Museum.  I remember him coming to my school to tell ghost stories around Halloween (and incredible treat at the time).  If you cared about Owensboro, and legendary locals...  well, Joe Ford was THE GUY.

The museum was great too.  I haven't been to it in some time (it is now right downtown on 2nd Street) but when I was a kid, I always loved going to the old location.  It was mind blowing.  I loved the gift shop too.  I remember 10 cent plastic dinosaurs.  There was a wooden barrel full of various used stamps for a penny each.

And I recently found out that Joe put out a couple of these little self published books.  This one is a fun, and quick read, and he talks about how the museum evolved from a childhood mini-museum to what it is now.

Reprinting these books might be a good and fun idea....  Now I just need to find a copy of his other book, "Haunts to Hookers".

No comments: