Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Saturday, September 16, 2023

"On Bended Knees" By Bill Cunningham


 While in Adams Tennessee, I picked up a copy of Bill Cunningham's "On Bended Knees:  The True Story of the Night Rider Tobacco War in Kentucky and Tennessee" while at the wonderful community museum in the old school.

First, I will say honestly that this book was one of the most enjoyable reads I have had recently.  It is well written about an area close to where I grew up (I am familiar with just about every community mentioned in the book).  Also, I grew up around tobacco farming.  Some of my earliest memories are of following my dad and other family members around the tobacco barn and fields.

Bill Cunningham sort of makes the book a story about Dr. David Amoss, the leader of a group of tobacco farmers who unite to refuse to sell their tobacco in an effort to get better prices for their leaves.  Amoss' rival- Buck Duke who has created a tobacco buying monopoly.

The author does clarify that the wealthy Duke, with business dealings worldwide, probably barely knew about Amoss and his efforts with the farmers, but the farmers were very aware of Duke.

I almost hate to make the comparison, but the book brought the TV series "Breaking Bad" to my mind, in a weird sort of way.  You might not be as sympathetic towards the main character by the end of the book as you were to him at the beginning.

Anyway, Amoss organizes his farmers into a military like unit- and, taking some notes from the KKK, they wear masks and commit some violent crimes to influence those who refuse to cooperate with them.  Of course, they wear masks during these crimes.  Some of the crimes are on a very big scale too.

Bill Cunningham's story telling is exciting and detailed, but never boring.  The book has a great flow.

Not to give anything away, but there is an ironic twist in the relationship to Duke and Amoss at the end of the book

I really enjoyed this one and I give "On Bended Knees" my highest possible recommendation.

No comments: