Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Wednesday, September 6, 2023

"The Frontiersmen" by Allan W. Eckert

So, after going to see the mind blowing "Tecumseh!" outdoor play in Chillicothe, I went out and found a great old copy of the source material- Allan W. Eckert's "The Frontiersmen".

This is a classic that has floated around since the 50s and I am almost embarrassed to say that I FINALLY got around to discovering this one....  It might be my new favorite book.

It is about 600 pages but it flows nicely, and you really get in to it.  Plus, having grown up in Kentucky, and lived a chunk of my life in northern Ohio, I know just about every spot mentioned in the book well.

The author is open about the book being historic fiction, as he notes his sources and all.  Some critics have been critical- calling this book more fiction than historic.  That might be a fair argument, but this is still a great starting point to learn about the old frontier, conflicts with the Native Americans, etc.

 


 

No comments: