Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Wednesday, February 7, 2024

"Great Smokies Myths and Legends" by Michael R. Bradley

I got a great book as a gift recently, "Great Smokies Myths and Legends" by Michael R. Bradley.  This was a great gift.

The book is separated into 14 chapters, and each one gives some info about the area/national park, and how it became so legendary.

First off, this book is well written.  It has a very nice flow to it and you can read it effortlessly.  I planned to read a chapter a night, but it was just too good, and I ended up knocking it out in a few settings.

Still, it is jam packed with information, and it helped me to develop a brand new appreciation for one of my favorite areas.  

I was excited to pick this one up, as the author links the GSMs to Abe Lincoln (its an odd link, but it is there), Sam Houston, and I wanted to read up on the Road to Nowhere.

Bradley covers so much ground...  even concerning the areas of the Smokies I thought I knew about, he brought some new stuff to my attention.  He introduced me to some new things to think about and see next time I am in Cherokee.  The author also did a great job of covering some of the legendary locals that helped introduce the rest of the world to the GSMs.  

I didnt plan on taking notes while reading this one...  I planned to enjoy it as a fun, simple read, but I found myself having to scribble down some bits of info.

This is simply a great book about a great area, and anyone just getting into learning about this neck of the woods should enjoy it.  Someone who has been there many times and knows a lot about it will learn more.  This one gets my highest possible recommendation.

No comments: