Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Saturday, April 27, 2024

"Strange Kentucky Monsters" by Michael Newton

I wanted to briefly mention the late Michael Newton's book, "Strange Kentucky Monsters," as it is a lot more interesting than I expected.

I kinda passed on this one a while back.....  I flipped through it very briefly and thought it looked a bit bland.  There were some pretty standard pictures in it, and the author has written several other books on other states.... and he wasn't even a Kentuckian.

I was wrong to pass on it though.  He has actually done a bit of a service.  His book is a bit more scientific than most in the genre, and he has a lot of stats and info on cryptid sightings in various areas of the state.

He talks about gators, piranhas, and even a couple of octopi found in Kentucky (he admits that these are all likely former pets just released or escaped from former owners, or they were released there).  He also gets pretty deep into black panther sightings and bigfoot!

I enjoyed reading this one straight through, and I am glad that I have it as a reference book on my shelf too!



 

No comments: