Mackinac Bridge

Mackinac Bridge
Mackinac Bridge, taken from the ferry on the way to Mackinac Island.

Saturday, September 28, 2024

"Mayhem on Mackinac Island" by Johnathan Rand

While we were on Mackinac Island, I found this cute young adult book.  I liked the cover enough that, even if the book was terrible, I would still be happy with the purchase.  Luckily, it was a fun book too.  AND, when I bought it, it was only 6 or 7 bucks, so I bought one for a young friend in Ohio too!

It seems that author Johnathan Rand has written a TON of these books- kind of fantasy books for young readers.  In general, I don't like fantasy books, but this one was fun, and if I were a kid, I would devour them.

I liked the fact that the book is set on Mackinac Island, and it was fun reading it while there.  I read it in a couple of settings.

A couple of siblings have an adventure on an alternative version of Mackinac Island with some strange characters and an evil skull castle.  Through some magic objects, they are able to fly and crawl up walls.  They do eventually find their way back on the REAL Island but they have some scares getting back.

Johnathan Rand has written a massive series of similar books for kids, all taking place in various towns in Michigan.  he also has his own bookstore!


 

No comments: