Mackinac Bridge

Mackinac Bridge
Mackinac Bridge, taken from the ferry on the way to Mackinac Island.

Saturday, September 7, 2024

"This Wretched Valley" by Jenny Kiefer

You can pick up your copy "This Wretched Valley" by Jenny Kiefer directly from her at her bookshop in Louisville, Butcher Cabin Books.  You're going to want to do that- it's a cool place to visit too if you are interested in horror literature.

I have to admit though, I would have picked this one up just because of the great cover.

I don't often read fiction, but this one has got a lot of attention, AND its by a Kentucky author AND it is set in some areas with which I am very familiar.  The Red River Gorge, Miguel's Pizza and some other places familiar to most of us make appearances.  I thought it was funny (it may have been the only thing in this book that gave me a chuckle) that the famous Miguel's Pizza t-shirt is brought up at one point (I own one, you probably do too).

"This Wretched Valley" reminded me a bit of a cool older horror movie.  There is some Blair Witch influence there (but not too much).  There are murders, and supernatural elements.  I guess it is just a good, weird scary story for those of us that enjoy such a thing.

It is pretty brutal too, there are some straight up dark scenes.

With just about any book I read, I could tell that there were some small doors left open for a possible sequel (though not many, there is a lot of death).  
 

No comments: