Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Friday, January 30, 2009

Big Mike's: Mammoth Cave Park


Man, I really don't know the history of Big Mike's, and really didn't find as much as I would like about it on the net. I think the first time I went there was in the mid to late 90's, and I remember me and my buddy Brent talking to the late Big Mike himself. I think he just got his prized replica dinosaur skull at the time and he was very proud of it.

Why go
Big Mike's is a very nice, large gift shop a very short drive from the main Mammoth Cave visitor center. It might take you 5 minutes to get there.
I guess you could put Big Mike's into several different categories. It is a huge rock shop. Out front, there is a building that sells weird rocks. I am sure there are people out there who love rock collecting. Many of the rocks looked like strange props from the original Star Trek series. It was fun looking at them. In the main building, there is a huge gift shop. More rocks, carved animals, postcards, novelties, and an elongated penny machine are inside. There is an upstairs loft area with the big dinosaur skull in a case.
The funhouse wraps around the main large gift shop area. Its kooky. What can you say about a funhouse? Lots of black light posters, the weird rooms built at angles that make balls appear to role upwards, and a chair balanced on its back legs. Its very trippy and goofy. They only charge a dollar to go through the funhouse. I found a coupon though, so me, my wife and a friend all went through for free. They even let some others go in for free with us. Don't do this though. If this attraction was in Salem, MA. or another cheesy tourist stop, they would charge $12 to go in and they would have people lined up. Big Mike's doesn't make any money off of their funhouse. They keep it going as a labor of love. Please, if you go to Big Mike's, pay the dollar to go in and tip the tour guide generously after its over. Yeah, this is something similar to a place you saw in the 70's, and for some older folks the novelty may have worn off, but I doubt it. If you haven't seen a funhouse before, this is pure sugary joy. If you have been through a funhouse before, and you know all the gags, its been a LONG time. This place will bring back memories.
By the rock shop, there is a really cool dinosaur statue. OK, it might not be REALLY cool, but I stop and take a picture every time I pass by.

Why not go

If you have issues with balance, or you get dizzy easily, or have bad legs you may want to skip the funhouse. You do walk at an angle. Don't be a wuss though! Seriously, if you are going to spend some time at the park, go over to Big Mike's. They appreciate your business. You'll find some stuff you won't find at the main park gift shop.

No comments: