Etowah Mounds

Etowah Mounds
Etowah Mounds in the Georgia State Parks systems.

Friday, January 30, 2009

Owensboro: My City Was Gone

I have spent a lot of time in Owensboro. My First 18 years in fact. I heard about the Executive Inn closing there recently. I had a former employee there once tell me about huge cracks in maintenance areas. I had heard rumors that the place was falling apart. Heck, it is situated right on the river. I keep thinking Owensboro is on that fault line.... one good earthquake and it would be IN the river!
I heard that the "Big E" was going to go belly up for some time, and it happened. I had some fun times there. When I was a kid, I remember going to the restaurant there. When I got older, I would catch concerts there (it must have been the only concert venue option for some time). I saw 38 Special, Foreigner, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, Survivor, and some others. I remember going to some parties there, swimming in the pool, and just goofing off. I remember walking through there as a kid and just thinking the place went on forever.
The only other building I can think of bigger than the Executive Inn in Owensboro is Gabe's Tower. I never stepped foot in the place. I do remember thinking the statue of Gabe was about the coolest thing going. I waved at him every time my mom passed him, with me in the passenger seat (likely, not wearing a seat belt, with my back to the windshield). He always waved back too. I don't even know who the real Gabe was, but man, was his statue friendly!

Another major landmark in my mind that is not what it used to be is Lincoln Mall. In high school, me and my friends, usually my best buddy Brent would hang out there a lot. Not because everyone else was hang out there, but mostly because everyone else was not hanging out there. It was a big, giant mall with a few shops, many vacant sections, and a $1 (later a $1.50) movie theater. There was a jungle painting on the glass separating out the old large anchor store in the back. I think the Owensboro High School art department painted it. I was a little let down that the Apollo art crew was not asked to participate. It was a fun painting though. They did a good job.
I do remember being a very young kid, in the very late 70's, and being in there with my mom. That mall was hoppin. I recall seeing the Easter Bunny there, and looking at toys in the big department store. I remember the jewelry store was always there. It seemed like Olan Mills photography was there too. My family had some pictures done at Olan Mills. It seemed like by the 90s though, it had gone from the place to get the family picture taken to the place that annoyed you with telemarketing.
So, early 90s. Lincoln Mall had the movie theater, Olan Mills, the Nick T. Arnold jewelry store, there was a Goodwill for some time, a cool artist supply store, and a store that sold consignment clothes. My sister worked at the beauty shop near the back for a little while.
Me and Brent would go there on a Saturday. There were 2 screens at the theater. We might see a movie in the early afternoon, walk around town some. Have lunch at Lee's, walk down to one of the music shops, the comic shop, or somewhere else, then walk back to Lincoln Mall to catch the other movie that night.
I don't know when it happened, but a church bought Lincoln Mall.I think at first they just moved in to the big anchor store in the back. Some of the other little stores stuck around a bit longer. Then, the church just took over the entire mall. I talk to people all the time now who go to that church.
Thankfully, at least Lincoln Mall has survived, in structure anyway. The other 2 buildings will likely be eyesoars for now. It is really sad though, when the buildings that stand out the most in an area are totally useless.

2 comments:

Matthew Glenn Adkins said...

Hey Jim, It's Matt. didn't we go there like 15 times in a row when "always" was playing...and we tried to get a different girl to go with us each time. the big department store was woolco I believe.

jimerado said...

Hey Matt, thanks for reading. I am glad that someone besides my mom looked over this!
YES! Woolco!
Oh, and I was thinking we saw Always 7 times, and I was thinking it was at several different theaters. I do recall buying the Always poster from a worker at Lincoln Mall right after the very last showing there.